March 31, 2012

Review #3 The Truth About Forever - Sarah Dessen

Macy's world is quiet, structured, forseeable. Her life seems well-planned, everything nice and in order, Macy herself on her way to perfectionism. The kind of perfect that her boyfriend resembles. The kind of perfect that's just good enough to please her mom, to keep things as they are. Quiet. Peaceful. Fine, just fine.
It takes a whole crew of disorganized caterers to make Macy wake up from the daily coma she walks through and discover that life can be so much more fun the further away it fades from perfectionism...


Goodreads summary:
a long, hot summer... 

That's what Macy has to look forward to while her boyfriend, Jason, is away at Brain Camp. Days will be spent at a boring job in the library, evenings will be filled with vocabulary drills for the SATs, and spare time will be passed with her mother, the two of them sharing a silent grief at the traumatic loss of Macy's father. 

But sometimes unexpected things can happen—things such as the catering job at Wish, with its fun-loving, chaotic crew. Or her sister's project of renovating the neglected beach house, awakening long-buried memories. Things such as meeting Wes, a boy with a past, a taste for Truth-telling, and an amazing artistic talent, the kind of boy who could turn any girl's world upside down. As Macy ventures out of her shell, she begins to wonder, Is it really better to be safe than sorry?

This book was for me. Totally. In like...every aspect you can think of. It was perfect. 
I usually grab a Sarah Dessen novel at times when I just don't feel good about myself and if something's really wrong in my life and I just want to see other people figuring out difficult stages of adolescence. And usually, I get what I want. Which is good, but not that 3-smarties kind of great/amazing/wonderful.
It is different for me with "The Truth about forever".

 From the first page I fell in love with the characters and when I say characters I mean every single one. Macy was that kind of a girl that you want to befriend immediately and Macy's family - although her mom might be a bit difficult - is just so amazing.
The catering-crew, of course, is fantastic, too. They are all so happy and they present a really healthy way of taking life as it is and making the best out of everything.

The way the story went was not that surprising - in my opinion, but I find that with almost every contemporary novel you can guess the ending by the synopsis. There just won't suddenly appear a pack of werewolves from behind the garbage container.

What I liked about this Dessen - novel better than in some others of her works was the story telling and the way Macy's situation and emotions were described. Macy and I do share some similarities, but even if one doesn't I think it would be very easy for him or her to identify with the protagonist.

I could continue praising this novel pretty much forever, but I'm gonna stop now by encouraging every single teenage/young adult girl/ grown up woman out there to read this book :)

Greetings, the Booksmartie

RATING: 3 out of 3 Smarties





No comments:

Post a Comment

Similar To This

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...